The Commissioners of the Town of Bel Air and the Bel Air Downtown Alliance is pleased to announce that FREE parking will be offered to citizens during the week of December 21st through Christmas, December 25th. This gift is being offered as an incentive for shoppers and for other citizens that want to enjoy the festive scenery and holiday atmosphere in the “Heart of Harford.”
As a reminder, parking is free on the weekends. This will provide shoppers and citizens nine (9) days of free parking in the Town of Bel Air. None of the parking meters (or parking-garage) within the municipal limits of Bel Air will be monitored for violations during this time frame.
The Bel Air Police Department will assist pedestrians along Main Street and the Police Department will be monitoring the pedestrian cross-walks for traffic violations. Below are some friendly reminders concerning “Pedestrian Rights and Rules” from the Maryland Transportation Article.
- The duty of a driver: The driver of a vehicle shall come to a stop when a pedestrian crossing the roadway in a crosswalk is:
- On the half of the roadway on which the vehicle is traveling; or
- Approaching from an adjacent lane on the other half of the roadway.
- The duty of pedestrian: A pedestrian may not suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.
- The passing of vehicle stopped for pedestrian is prohibited. If, at a marked crosswalk or at an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, a vehicle is stopped to let a pedestrian cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear may not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.
- Pedestrians must adhere to pedestrian traffic control signals when available.